Letting Go of Attachments – Gerber Daisies – Picture to Ponder – v6 – issue 37

by Sheila Finkelstein on September 22, 2010

Today I am pretty much going to leave up to you the words for the Gerber Daisy photographs below. Each image has an expression of its own. I simply suggest that you be with each for a moment or two and experience the feelings. Then move to the Self-Reflecting Queries.

I also invite you to check out the information I have below on my mentor Julie Jordan Scott’s open, no fee writing program. Included is also a link to the “breathing of my heart” writing I did today.

Today’s Featured Photos

Wilting pink Gerber Daisy

Wilted pink gerber daisy 2

3 small gerber daisies standing erect

Today’s Photos Story
It’s been a while since I’ve been inspired to buy flowers to have in my home for enjoyment and/or photographing . Then with my holidays a couple of weeks ago, I made the shift and actually bought three bunches and combined them.

These small Gerber Daisies became the main subject/variety that I followed. I was surprised, then disappointed, that they did not last as long as the larger sized ones had in the past.

When it came to sharing them with you, I had quite an internal struggle over which to feature, if at all. Were they even “good enough”, “interesting enough,” and more, to publish – all those small, yet so large, “voices” with which we often barrage ourselves.

Finally, I selected the three above, planning to choose only one from the top two; then left my computer for several hours.

When I came back I was moved by all of them, each in a different way. Thus I am presenting all three for you also to appreciate in whatever way you will.

Did you respond to my invitation at the top to simply be with and feel each of the images individually? If so, what did you experience with each?

Where else in your life might you have had, or be having, similar experiences?

Also, in my story above, I indicated that when I finally let go of the attachment to being “right” or “perfect” (in my choice of photos to present) it all fell into place. Feelings of “freedom”, peace and satisfaction emerged.

Are there places in your life where you may be feeling a strong attachment to an outcome, where you’re sure you want something to be a certain way? If so, I invite you to attempt to let that go, be in the unknown, allowing whatever happens to be okay.

Walk away, literally or figuratively, if you can, and when you come back be open to the possibility of something refreshingly new.

As always, you are welcome to share your responses in the COMMENTS section below.

For those who enjoy writing
This morning I was moved to join a call facilitated by Julie Jordan Scott, whom I’ve often mentioned here. The call was one in her current 49-day daily writing program, AND NOW, YOU WRITE.

I’ve been a participant in countless calls and programs that Julie has offered over the past eight or more years that I have known her. She is a truly authentic, loving, sharing, caring, generous human being. I consider her one of my mentors and know that always something will open up for me out of being in her presence.

If you are interested in writing and/or being comfortable in expressing yourself, I strongly recommend you check out Julie’s AND NOW, YOU WRITE Virtual Writing Camp.

The prompt for today was “I fill the paper with the breathing of my heart” and in the subsequent five minutes of free-flow writing time. You can read what I wrote on my WRITING FOR HEALING blog.

PHOTO in RESPONSE to COMMENTS below.  See Julie Jordan Scott’s comment.

Morgine September 22, 2010 at 9:06 pm

breathing in
the color
of each other’s
smile …

Morgine

Sheila Finkelstein September 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I love this, Morgine. Thank you so much. I’m smiling broadly here, especially since it seems that the arrangement of the pictures with the threesome last might have contributed in part to your response.

I love the way you caught into the perkiness, rather than the debilitation of the flowers. And that’s probably what was calling out to me when I felt so good about them in the end.

Phyllis Paulson September 22, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I don’t know many people that cannot connect with that Gerber Daisy that tries so hard to be perfect, but in a few facets of our lives are not living up to perfection.

To others we may seem just fine with beautiful colors but we just can’t get over those few petals that are not in place. Love, Phyllis

Sheila Finkelstein September 22, 2010 at 9:52 pm

What a profound and interesting observation, Phyllis.

I never would have thought of it from the perspective you
brought up. I love the way you express it with the personification and the “few petals not in place”.

Julie Jordan Scott September 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the acknowledgment, Sheila. I love these daisies. They remind me of the beauty, of my beauty, sometimes being outside of the conventional, outside the norm… and this is what makes them interesting.

They are quirky cute. Sometimes I feel quirky cute, which is much better than….. grating or embarrassing or…

and as I read that, even that is fine sometimes…

I also am moved by the back of the orange daisy with the two, cuddled up and the orange daisy, left out. I have been that orange daisy. I have been one of the similar daisies. That photo is very poignant to me. Which is probably why I was always the daisy who reached out to the orange daisy and made sure she felt at home and welcomed.

THANK YOU, again, beloved Sheila.

Sheila Finkelstein September 23, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Thanks so much for your response and acknowledgment here. I appreciate your sharing so authentically and so “Julie” about your analogous life experience here.

I was moved to go back in my photo files and add, above, a photo with the orange daisy front and center. The pink ones now have their backs turned. Seems like the orange one might not have wanted that acceptance.

Perhaps, in the original setting above, the orange one had purposely turned her back on the pink ones, who remained quite content since they looked so pretty and had each other.

And, now the orange one is publicly claiming her power…

Amazing the stories we can make up. The tragedy is that sometimes we live in them as if they are real and never check them out, one of my recurring Picture to Ponder themes – inquiring into what’s really so.

And it’s fun making up stories here, though not necessarily so, for some, when they hit raw spots as the one photo evidently did with you. Knowing you, I’m sure it was simply one more opening into the wonderful being of you, who adds so much to the world.

Thanks so much for stepping into this playground with us.

Morgine September 23, 2010 at 7:55 am

so I begin to bend
and bow below
proud I have
made
such a grand show

Sheila Finkelstein September 23, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Another beautiful piece, Morgine. Once again, thanks for sharing.

Linda De Narde September 23, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Love the gerber daisy, I right away seen the imperfection of the droopy daisy, and stayed with it for a while and thought of if , i was at a store buying Gerber Daisy would I pass these ones up, and as i moved into the journey i thought of my imperfections and related to them, and was able to see all the beauty that was there in the Daisies even with its imperfection , In that i was able to validate my own beauty even with its imperfections
Smiles Linda

Sheila Finkelstein September 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Thank you so much for jumping in here, Linda.

Actually, the Gerber daisies I buy in my supermarket are generally individually encased in a stretchy, nylon netting. When I get home and am ready to put them in an arrangement, I gently remove the netting and watch the flowers beautifully open out. And, usually, with the larger Gerberas that I get, the stems have a 6-inch, or longer, plastic tube that supports the stem so it doesn’t bend over right away from the weight of the flower.

I LOVE that you spent the time with the photos and were able to use the experience to ultimately validate your own beauty.

amer September 23, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Hi Sheila,
What I saw and felt at first glance was a most innocent and playful wave. Those petals greeting and gesturing to me with such childlike carefree daisy-ness until perhaps the moment it noticed itself being noticed and grew quite shy, turning the exchange into a game of peek-a-boo.
In the third picture, it felt like youthful twins looking out into the world (towards me) to see what they might learn without the oversight of perhaps the taller (mom ?) seeing or hearing. Longing to know something of their own. I’m not sure why, but the tall daisy facing back looks busy to me doing important stuff that can’t be seen from this “playful” side of the planter. It is fun to make up daisy stories so thanks for sharing your bouquet today.
~ Amer

Sheila Finkelstein September 26, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Amer,
Thanks for jumping in here. I love your stories, particularly the playfulness theme. I agree. What fun!

carmen September 24, 2010 at 5:43 am

My instant response to the first photo with the beautiful pink and greys, was how peaceful it was…..the second one gave me a feeling of uncertainty as a few of the petals had drooped. After a while I felt it was simply hiding its beauty to some extent and was peeping out not sure about how to proceed. The last of the three at first seemed to shock a little as the orange seemed to me a jarring note, but later again after looking and reflecting I realised just how beautiful the change in colour seemed to be. In a way the photos are reflecting what is happening to me at present. I have thought it would be good to move forward and relocate but I am scared because my current flat is beautiful and peaceful. I have hesitated for some time and yet underneath the “peace” of living here there is a kind of anxiety because I know unless I make a move my life could stagnate. This morning I made a change by colouring my hair. I have coloured it a vivid titian red which is a shock. I am 62 and I know it is not the usual thing for a grandmother of that age to do…But when I look at my reflection now I feel happy and I have smiled at myself which makes me look better.

I think beauty is all about what is inside your head. I hope I will continue to feel good about the changes that I am making….I mean to feel good and the Gerber flowers seemed to speak to me of boldness and fragility and taking chances….Thank you so much for your beautiful and inspirational photos, Sheila love from Carmen xx

Sheila Finkelstein September 26, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Thank you so much, Carmen, for your thoughtful and authentic reply, sharing so much of yourself. I love what you say about beauty and I’m glad that these photos made a difference for you. Thank you also for your other kind words, including your love.

Steve Grubman-Black October 1, 2010 at 7:49 am

I am a little behind with mail, yet so happy you a follow-up for the gerber daisy photo (I want the box!). It is is filled with happiness and a bit of mischief, as those few petals hold back a little. I see them that way.
Dear Sheila, what I continue to appreciate and love about your creative works is, that you allow your camera to invite and embrace the participant/viewer to think and respond.
Thank you.
Steve

Sheila Finkelstein October 1, 2010 at 7:59 am

Thanks so much for your comments and acknowledgment. I, too, love the Yellow Gerber Daisy box. It’s on my next order in Mahogany color. I thought black would be better and then I set it on top of a black box I have, then the mahogany. The latter was VERY rich looking. The white velvet inside is great also.

And I love your statement that I allow my camera to invite…. Great appreciation.