Respite – Footprint in the Sand, Ocean and Sun – Picture to Ponder v7-37

by Sheila Finkelstein on September 18, 2011

To compensate for being way behind this week, I am simply sending out Picture to Ponder with photos for possible respite.

The other morning I went out to Boynton Beach to be with and photograph sunrise. While there I patiently video recorded five minutes of the quiet ocean, rising sun, ultimately reflecting in waves and surf approaching me.

Then to my surprise the iPhone application I used to record the scene did not pick up the sound and it compressed the five minutes to 58 seconds. If you wish to check it out, see Boynton Beach Sunrise Video

In the meantime, following are the three pictures that kept “popping out” of my photo folder, requesting that they be shown here.

Today’s Picture to Ponder Photos –

footprint in the sand during sunrise walkBoynton Beach

What gems might you find on a walk on the beach just after sunrise?

waves against barrier along Boynton Beach

Quiet surf rolls in against a barrier.

waves again metal protective wall into water at Boynton Beach

Whooshing more on the far side of the barrier. Weathered, rusted metal still does its job, protecting the beach from erosion.

Sometimes we do not know the “why” of our actions, or inactions. We can struggle with the latter, beat ourselves up, or simply let it, and us, be “okay” – trust.

I am not sure why these particular photos are especially appealing to me right now. And I’m trusing there may be a reason, that one or more may have a special message for you.

I invite you to be with each photo individually. Check and see. Do any of them have a message for you?

I do think a good part of what is going on for me is the warmth of the light and sun no matter what the situation may be representing.

Have fun, and, again, please share in the COMMENTS below your experience with these photos and what comes up for you.

Donna Bath September 18, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Lovely photos! I just can’t see the footprint as a footprint in the sand. Instead, it looks like a relief of a footprint. What’s going on? Is that a negative of the photo you actually took? Are my eyes playing tricks on me? I tried to study the direction of the light source, etc. and my brain is still telling me that it is a relief!
Cheers, Donna

Sheila Finkelstein September 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Thanks for the acknowledgement, Donna, and for your observation and subsequent query. I really had not thought about it one way or another.

The photo is exactly as I took it. The light would have been behind me or to the side. Check out this photo – http://eteletours.com/EZINE/footprint-shell-insand-vert.jpg – same image. Though it looks like I might have rotated it with an editing program, I actually positioned myself to take it from a different direction.

Are the indentations in the sand a little more obvious now? Or does it seems like your eyes are still playing tricks on you?

Speaking of “eyes playing tricks”, I was at an exhibit today of the exciting work of Stanford Slutsky – http://stanfordslutsky.com/gallery.html Looking at some of his works from different angles brought up whole new imagery.

Have fun.

Debra Shiveley Welch September 20, 2011 at 7:51 am

I noticed that it looked like a relief is well and for some reason, it touched me. It evoked a feeling of timelessness – continuence – we never really leave.

Sheila Finkelstein September 20, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Thanks for your comment here, Debra. I appreciate your response on timelessness. As I look again, it seems further anchored, for me, with the shell fragment there.

Debra Shiveley Welch September 20, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Yes, and the fact that you can actually see the bones beneath the skin and the toenailds. Amazing.

Sheila Finkelstein September 20, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Put that way, Debra, I feel like I’m seeing something out of a Science Fiction story 🙂

Debra Shiveley Welch September 20, 2011 at 8:28 pm