Shifts in Perception – Finding the Beauty – Flowering Kale in Picture to Ponder v7-34

by Sheila Finkelstein on August 25, 2011

Photographing food was our assignment this past week in The Photo Profits Secret online course in which I’ve been participating. As usual, I found myself drawn into the centers, and the art, rather than whole of individual and groups of fruits and/or vegetables.

I invite you to fully experience and be with each of today’s photos without further interference. Explanations are below.

Today’s Picture to Ponder Photos –

white flowering kale - single leaf

Abstract view of red flowering kale leaves - close upl

flowering kale and other vegetables in Vita Mix Blender to make smoothie

The Story
The photos above are of flowering kale. I had been in my local produce market looking for organic kale. They were out of it and I was directed to the flowering kale. I was immediately enthralled with the patterns of the lines, colors and textures. The structure of the flowering white head of kale was totally different from the red.

(You can see five views of the full and almost-full bunches of both on Kale – Five Views. Hit Control + to enlarge. In one view the red is placed in one of the wood seed pods featured in a recent issue of Picture to Ponder.)

The Description
The top photo is a single leaf from the white flowering kale; the middle photo, the centers of two leaves, plus, placed upright in a small basket/vase. The bottom one is of the red flowering leaves mixed with spinach leaves, parsley and pear (what’s visible) in the center section of my VitaMix Blender, almost ready to be mixed into a green smoothie for lunch.

For me each of the photos has its own distinct beauty. No further explanations required. And, for you? (Blog comments welcome.)

Once again, I invite you to look into your life. Following my experience described today, when you are faced with disappointment (in this case no organic kale), are you able to shift and find a positive, an up side?

Or, do you “suffer” with it? Or “walk away” ignoring it, attempting to forget it?

Assuming you find the positive, can you go even further and find the beauty in it, the person or situation?

I also invite you to pay attention to the elements that uplift you when in a challenging situation. In my case here, it was getting absorbed in colors, lines, shapes and textures and following through with a purchase; then ultimately using my camera.

At other times, for me, it may be writing, or calling a friend. Again, what about you? What is your prescription for relief, ease, and fun?

As always, have fun, and please share in the COMMENTS below what comes up for you.

Peggy Kemp August 25, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Beautiful pictures. Lyrical sweep in the first one, beautiful colors in the second. I saw the blender right away and I thought it was great – when we drink fresh greens we revitalize every cell – the better to appreciate the stunning beauty of nature.

Sheila Finkelstein August 25, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Thanks, Peggy. One of the subscribers just wrote to me directly, “This reminds me of a gorgeous Ginger Rogers gown, twirling as she spins. ”

I love your extension of revitalizing our cells into better appreciating the “stunning beauty of nature.”

Rose Gardener August 25, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Hi Sheila, I too saw a dancer in the white kale leaf. Her ball gown is swirling, hair flowing down and arms out-stretched as she bends over backwards, supported by invisible hands which prevent her from falling. Immediately I thought of my on-line friends, most of whom I have never met, who support and encourage me when life pushes me so far that my back feels close to breaking under the strain.

The second picture reminded me of two birds of paradise in a tropical rainforest. I thought of how easy it is to ignore, or forget to nurture, the less obvious areas of ourselves until they are endangered-especially the soul.

The final picture? For once, all this said to me was ‘lunch’!

Sheila Finkelstein August 29, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Rose, thank you so much for jumping in and sharing your thoughts. You were so descriptive, I can visualize the dancer. Think I’m going to forward this to a FB friend.

Beautiful thoughts and writing. It’s most appreciated.

Sheila Vernick Orysiek August 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm

It surely captures the sweep of dance – but I see it as a cry – the sob of the sylph in La Sylphde. There are her wings as they die and draw her down instead of sweeping her away to safety. She is a creature of the woods – thus the green …- she is a creature of dreams – thus the white.

The second picture is the ballet Midsummer’s Nights Dream – his costume as flamboyant as hers – but he comes from a dark root to seeking to tower over her, while she opens wide her welcome….

The third picture – the garden greenery is crying – they are about to be most hideously annialated.

Sheila Finkelstein August 29, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Thanks for adding your words here, Sheila. I love the drama and stories you’ve created. I can actually visualize and feel the dance, especially in the first, second also.

I shudder at the third. What if we say, “the greens are awaiting, in breathless anticipation, transitioning to their final stage of nurturing, allowing the dance to continue or a new one to occur.”