Riverwalk Park – Shadows, Reflections, Fungi, Stories and Emotions – Picture to Ponder – v7-issue 17

by Sheila Finkelstein on April 27, 2011

On her wonderful Art Dog Blog, my friend Rebecca Collins shared a photo of a towel in which she saw a dog (click link to see). After describing her experience, she wrote:

“This post is for my photographer pal Sheila who sees faces in everything she shoots in nature. She enjoys finding all types of faces in wood grain and various textures in her photos. I sort of hope this is just an isolated event and I do not start seeing floppy eared canines in inanimate objects around me.”

So, last week when I saw the Fungus face below, I immediately thought of Becca. Back at her, I’m featuring it in today’s Picture to Ponder, inviting you to spend some time with the stories you might see in, or emotions you might feel from,

Today’s Photos –

Fungus face on tree in RiverWalk in Macon, GA

bench on  Ocmulgee Riverwalk in Macon, GA

2 benches along Ocmulgee Riverwalk in Macon, GA

shadow print on paper on bridge crossing Ocmulgee River in Macon, GA

The images in the above photos all caught my attention and drew me in as I walked with my grandson Will on Ocmulgee Riverwalk in Macon, GA. It was the end of a wonderful week’s visit with my family.

I suspect that the benches in particular were symbolic of a variety on unidentified emotions. The top photo is one of many amazing fungi that were on a tree along the walk.

The bottom photo shares my intrigue with the lines and shadows and the wonder of Nature casting shadows on a paper that at first glance looked like it was a pattern printed on it. It was taken on the bridge going over the Ocmulgee River. I leaned over the railing (the black lines in the foreground) to take the photo.

As I stated above, I could come up with all kinds of stories for the photos and hypothesize on a “deeper” level what about it is about each one that appealed to me. Right now it would take a lot of effort on my part.

It’s also a reminder of how much time many of us do spend in our “stories”, real or made up, one of the recurrent themes in Picture to Ponder.

So, for today, I invite you to look into your life. Are there places right now where you are dwelling on your “stories” or another’s?

If so, I invite you to “step out”, look at the experience and take some time to simply be with what’s there. Can you find the beauty in it?

As always, have fun, and please share on the blog what comes up for you.

Program For Creatives Who Are Sometimes Stymied with their Abundant Ideas –
On Monday, I opened an email promoting a 3-week program that immediately caught my attention. The description of this Creative Souls Telesummit so fit areas I’ve been personally addressing that I registered.

Knowing that you might also be one of the people for whom it’s targeted, I wanted to share it with you. Registration is f*ree (aside from long distance charges if they apply) and MP3 replays are available for listening for up to 48 hours after the call.

Since the first call was on Tuesday, there is still time for you to take advantage of the full series, at no charge.

There is a fee, should you want the downloadable recordings to have for future listening. I have been on the first two calls and am most impressed with the quality and content of the two speakers I’ve heard, as well as with Tamra Fleming, the organizer and facilitator.

FROM THE MAIL I RECEIVED:

“The Creative Souls Telesummit is specifically for Creative Souls…those artists, renaissance souls, scanners, right-brainers, pioneers, visionaries, creative mavericks…to help you get clear, get into action and create financial flow with your creative endeavors.

Calls are at Noon Pacific/3 PM Eastern time.
There are 13 live speakers who you can listen to for F*REE! They will cover three weeks of content:

Week 1: FOCUS – How to Get Clear, Align with Your True Purpose and Be Your Authentic Creative Self

Week 2: How to Remove Blocks and Get into Action with the Steps and a Plan

Week 3: How to Turn Your Creative Fire into Financial Flow

If you’re a creative person and you have creative endeavors that you would like to see come to fruition, then join us!”

For details, including speakers, schedule and bonuses, see CREATIVE SOULS TELESUMMIT.

(Note: Should you register for one of the paid options, I will receive a commission. The Arts Attorney, one of the speakers who sent me the email, will be receiving a commission on my registration.)

Jacqueline April 27, 2011 at 8:51 pm

The images of empty benches really touched me, Sheila, and the timing of this presentation is perfect.

My old stories were reflected back to me today, brought right to my door. It’s amazing how quickly I jumped back into an old identity.

The empty benches feel like the past to me, of what has gone before but is no longer there. What I needed to see is just that … the past is no longer here. Time to let go of the old stories.

Sheila Finkelstein April 27, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I love your response to the benches, Jacqueline. More food for thought. The first that caught my eye was the single bench overlooking the river. I got an “aloneness” and I suppose that, if I reflect on your response, the “aloneness” was from missing what was past (the loss of my husband) and facing an “empty” future… though calm and still.

Turning around and seeing the two benches didn’t add anything. The emptiness was simply doubled. I did continue, positioning my grandson on the bench and taking other photos. Maybe I’ll put up a page of them tomorrow.

Back to you. I’m so glad that the time was perfect for you and that you had openings from this issue. It amazes me how often the “just right” photo(s) and queries surface for subscribers.

Thanks for your sharing here.

Susan Jones April 28, 2011 at 5:53 am

Photo #4 I love geometry, architecture…the first draw to the photo. The ‘story’ in it for me today is this. My choices over the last many yrs have been introspective, ethereal, spiritual and mostly not grounded. This photo for me represents order, scheduling, discipline, Writers write. Photographer photograph. Painters paint. Artists create. These are ACTivities. Step taking. Dream implementation. The beauty of this photo is the recording of a moment in time with the knowing that the next moment, tho ordered, will be ever so slightly but definitely different because the Source of the shadows, the Sun, is moving. I long to work w/in a framework to help me bring to fruition my creative gifts while being ever present to the soft movement of Source..

Sheila Finkelstein April 28, 2011 at 6:03 am

Beautiful, Susan. Thank you for sharing. Eye-opening, too, for me and thought-provoking. The “imprint” on the paper seemed so “real” and “steady “to me, it never occurred to me that it would be changing. And don’t all things change.

There is so much beauty in the “light” and “play” of the Sun. Thanks for the reminder.

Rose Gardener April 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

I adore the fungal face, Sheila. Far from taking me back to reflect on a past story, today your picture and these comments acted as a story prompt. I see a happy imp with a green feather in his hat making mischief in the park on unsuspecting humans- with the ultimate aim of easing their lonely vigils on the benches and reminding them that time out is not just for grieving but also to reconnect with the innate joy of living.

Sheila Finkelstein April 28, 2011 at 10:22 am

Love your story, Rose, and how you integrated the post and the comments. Beautiful!

Indirectly all this is feeding into a product, or membership program, idea that someone suggested this week – videos of a walk, without paying attention, and then the same walk, stopping with the camera and showing what can be seen.

Without planning, in addition to the shadows and bench series from this Riverwalk, I have photos of several other interesting fungi that were on the tree.

Thanks so much for your contribution here.

Morgine April 28, 2011 at 5:44 pm

The fungus one to me, creates a story. There are the top eyes looking out at those passing by and yet another set below. Perhaps this just looks like simple fungus and yet it is the dome for some Nature Beings or Ghomes who enjoy looking out at “us humans” at times to see what we are doing for a change! Viewing us from their hidden little home of sorts.

The benches brought up feelings of great Gratitude for the people who paid to have them put there. How many times I have been oh so GRATEFUL to find a bench to rest my weariness upon! And then in a place where the view is to beautiful and inspiring! Of course “my perspective”!

The last one belongs on your figure it out page! I could not until you said it was a reflection. I still wonder how the white spot was created ..sunlight or reflection or what? Great puzzles reflections always seem to be to me!!
Thanks!

Sheila Finkelstein April 29, 2011 at 9:38 am

Thanks, Morgine. I can see where there is a lot more that can be developed from the individual photos here and those I’ve yet to publish from the walk.

What a great gratitude practice you have for honoring people for placing benches. Although these benches did not have name plates, we can certainly have gratitude for the City of Macon or whomever put them there. Even without sitting in them, they’ve certainly added value here.

Regarding the third, it was shadows rather than reflections on the paper. I was looking over the railing into the street part of the bridge going over the river.

Again, thanks for jumping in here with your valuable share and insights.

Rebecca Lansdowne May 5, 2011 at 10:23 am

Thanks for the shout out:) Great post. Love that last photograph.