Discovering, Openings and Transformation – Picture to Ponder – v7-29

by Sheila Finkelstein on July 22, 2011

My older son and two grandsons are visiting this week, so today’s Picture to Ponder is late and will mainly be the photographs and story documenting discovering and transformation. The Queries are brief and might be profound for some of you.

Today’s Picture to Ponder Photos –

Curled Wood Pod 1

wood pods in water

wood pods flattend - on sink

wood pods curled #2

These photographs result from my latest fun in discovery and experimentation.

The top photo is of two unidentified pieces from Nature that are/were intertwined. I am calling them wood pods. They are as hard as wood and the indentations look like seeds were there.

I have no recollection of where I found the “sculpture”, or from what tree the components might be. I picked it up, presumably, because I liked the colors and textures. It had been atop a surface in my dining room. Recently, I grabbed it to serve as a platform to hold remnants of another garlic bulb I wanted to photograph. (See Garlic Bulb Photo )

As I was playing with it, I recalled a recent conversation with a friend in Maine. I had asked her if she ever collected dried seaweed and reconstituted it by putting it in water. This was another accidental discovery of mine, years ago, with seaweed I had brought back to our New Jersey home from York Beach, Maine. Somehow it had come in contact with water and opened up to its original, full moist being.

Remembering that experience, I wondered what would happen if I put my mini-sculpture in water, so I did. I put it in a plastic shoebox, covered it with water and closed the box.

Lo and behold, in a couple of days (maybe less) two pods separated and were flat!! (Photos #2 in clear water. The original water was colored yellow from dye from the pods.) They are hard as wood and, in no way could be bent without their breaking.

Photo #3 is of two pods, still glistening from the water, lying flat on my bathroom sink.

Photo #4, the pods, completely dry, a day later AND starting to curl up!!

In terms of the aesthetics of the photographs, I particularly like the feeling in the arrangement of the two pods as seen in the bottom photo.

They are back in water now because I wanted to share the experiences with my grandsons, as we observe the process once again, now recording the timing of the different stages. “Will it even be the same?” becomes the current question.

I invite you to look into your life to see if there is a place where you are curled up inside? If so, is it tight, without openings to another, or are there spaces for access?

If it’s tight and uncomfortable for you, I invite you to look at what the “hydration” would be for you to let it go and “straighten” out, if you so choose.

As always, have fun, and please share in the COMMENTS below what comes up for you.

Marifran Korb July 22, 2011 at 11:49 am

Dear Sheila,
Thanks for reminding me of what can happen when one stays a minute with “ordinary” things. Maybe everything is extraordinary, if we look a little deeper, or add a little water and re-position a little garlic . Once again, I’m uplifted by your creativity of art and ideas.

Sheila Finkelstein July 23, 2011 at 5:17 am

Thanks so much, Marifran, for your comments and acknowledgment. Wonderful “food” for thought… the possibility of everything being extraordinary if only we look a little deeper. Sometimes all that’s necessary is to pause for a moment or two, look around and “be” with what is. That’s when things often show up, as you know and have experienced, I’m sure.

Morgine July 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Reminds me of the Metaphor of being “dried up” in life, without ideas, rigid, stiff, non bendable. Yet when we immerse ourselves into some “field of creativity” like taking photographs, for instance, we moisten our souls longing for JOY, we become for fluid, more creative, more open and willing to bend this way and that and try this perspective and that focus and so on. Here’s to staying “in the flow” of Creative Energy. Although I know the seeds might someday lay on the ground, get wet and moist and compost and sprout into soft, flexible new growth for new plants!!
Thanks for the creative thoughts!

Sheila Finkelstein July 23, 2011 at 5:22 am

And, thanks, Morgine. I love the way you expanded on my observations/queries and took them more directly into our lives. Also love your poetic expression, “moisten our souls”.

Interestingly, as I’m observing, the moistening of these pods opened them up and a new rigidity occurred. I am anxious to see what happens when I take them out of the water again. Once is still slightly curved, did not get completely flat as I thought the first time.

Dawn July 23, 2011 at 4:14 am

Reconstitution…………..Wonderfully profound!
Thank you for this work.

Sheila Finkelstein July 23, 2011 at 5:23 am

You are most welcome, Dawn. And, thank you for commenting.

Gina Dianne July 23, 2011 at 8:42 am

Hi Sheila I found pods like these growing on trees in Mexico. They had seeds in them and they are used as musical instruments much like maracas I attended a workshop where an extremely talented young man took us on a half hour visualization using traditional “instruments” including clay vessels you blow into and the seed pods. It was an incredible experience. I felt as if I was in the middle of a Maya jungle, hearing jaguars roaring, birds flying and singing. After the visulization he asked us what our favorite sound had been and did a mini intuitive reading.
Thank you for reminding me with this stunning picture layout and revivifying this wonderful evening

Sheila Finkelstein July 23, 2011 at 11:13 am

What a wonderful story, Gina Dianne, Thanks for sharing it here. I felt that I was right there with you. And, I appreciate the acknowledgment.
Which was your favorite instrument and was the reading “right on” for you?