Commitment and Lethargy – Concrete and Nature – Lines and Contrasts – Picture to Ponder – v7-32

by Sheila Finkelstein on August 11, 2011

Today’s Picture to Ponder Photos
are simply choices coming out of my lethargy around putting together this week’s issue of Picture to Ponder. Believe it or not, I have not been very photo-taking motivated recently (outside of photos of my beautiful granddaughter in Key West last week which you can see on Facebook in my Fun with Kaitlyn Album).

On the other hand I have made a commitment to you and myself to get this ezine out weekly, so I went to my files and the two photos below are the ones that said, “Choose me.”

Do they fit together? Maybe the answer lies with you? I’m simply trusting there is a reason, for at least one of you, that they “called out” to be included.

courtyard outside Fort Lauderdale Museum of Art

begonia leaves landscape

The top photo is in the courtyard in front of the entrance to the Fort Lauderdale Museum of Art which I visited with one of my grandsons a few weeks ago. The contrasting, straight diagonal and vertical lines and their reflections appeal to me.

The lower photo is of a groundcover of begonia leaves we passed as we were walking on one of the side streets near the museum. Here, though there is no one main point of focus, the colors as well as the contrast of the curves lines and subtle variations of light and shadows keep me engaged. There is a peacefulness and at the same time an energetic vibrancy.

And, I’d love to get your responses in the Comments below to either or both of the photos.

In essence, today’s issue results from fulfilling on a commitment, a promise to deliver a weekly issue. I suspect that there might be an unexpected, happy, forward-moving result out of my taking action and, if not, that’s fine, too.

I invite you to look into your life to see if there is any place where you’ve been stalling on taking action. If so, I invite you to see if you can find what the commitment is behind it.

If you feel the “stalling” there presumably is/was an underlying intention. I suggest you look for, and at it, and then make a decision to take action, or not, and see what happens. In either case, there will be a release.

Do make sure that you have no attachments to the results. Then, notice – What became available to you out of your choice?

As always, have fun, and please share in the COMMENTS below what comes up for you.

Follow Up on the Wood Pods
For those who might have been intrigued with the Wood Pod queries and observations from two and three weeks ago, the final unexpected result was that the pods, which had been locked together, became totally separated as they must have dried even further!

There were some interesting comments the first week. I invite you to check them out also.

wood pods separated

New Business for Me
In a totally different unrelated realm, though people-oriented, I have enrolled in a business opportunity with a highly successful company. Should you be in the market for upgrading any of your telecommunication and/or security services, please check out my storefront.

Jan August 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Both photos are interesting. The begonia one appeals to me most as I started seeing the negative spaces between petals and wanted to enlarge, edit and sketch it on
my iPhone. To me flowers are complicated and I want to simply them. Perhaps, my life feels is complicated, and I treasure the simplicity of being alone in nature.

Sheila Finkelstein August 11, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Very interesting, Jan, thinking about talking a portion and editing on iPhone. What apps would you use? So long as you give me credit for the original photo, you have my permission to photograph the picture with your iPhone and then play.

Morgine August 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I find the stairs inviting, they want to be climbed, they draw me upward inviting me to see what is at the top of them! I don’t know why and it is all about the “energy” they give off.

The leaves I also find have an “inviting” energy. Like each individual step in the stair way, I notice the similarity, while at the same time, revel at the Magic of each individual shining face, each leaf its own, one of a kind original, as I am sure each step is as well.

We like to think we will each be lost in the crowd of life, just one ordinary face, without a trace left behind. Yet consider the ocean. Each drop it really important, for if each one left to become something else, the ocean would cease to exist, AND trillions of other creatures who live their would be affected. Lives would be lost, animals, plants, microbes… etc. Boats could not sail. People and goods could not longer be transported, the environment would suffer.

We like to “think” we are not very important some days, and yet without us, each one of us, the world simply would NOT be the same. Without every action we have taken, every word we have spoken, every thought we have thought, the world, the universe would be wearing a different face today. Human or butterfly, the effects of each of us Unique and glorious Presence, DOES make a difference!

How’s that for being inspired by your lovely photos!!

Sheila Finkelstein August 11, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Wow and thanks, Morgine. You certainly added a lot to what was/is there.I love the way you point out that there is distinctiveness in the leaves which on the surface look very similar.

Rose Gardener August 11, 2011 at 3:55 pm

The begonias make me think of a crowd of people, rushing around, focused on their red hot, selfish issues, yet they each maintain a cool exterior, which allows the mass to sit closely together with the overall appearance of harmony.

The steps are interesting. I wonder how many people will see a chance to step down, sit and rest, reflecting on where they are in life today. How many will leave the seats still warm, overcome by the urge to rush back up the stairs to another busy day?

Sheila Finkelstein August 11, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I love your ponderings, Rose. Sounds like your life was quite busy today.

Marifran Korb August 11, 2011 at 9:28 pm

In the top photo for August 11, the dominant color is gray. The lines are angled and straight, giving a formal feeling of peace from organized structured space. I like it and the second for the different reasons. The begonias contrast the first with its dominate pink and natural design, evoking a relaxed feeling. The texture and pattern do not feel repetitive. It’s peaceful in a delightful way. Thanks for capturing both.

Sheila Finkelstein August 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Thanks, Marifran. I love the way you picked up on the colors and responded to them as well as the lines and patterns. Much appreciated.

Susan Kline Strahosky August 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm

The stairs: Which ones will I take? Do I choose the illusion and stay put or do I take a chance and climb the real ones. This speaks to me as I am currently at a major cross roads.

Sheila Finkelstein August 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Thanks, Susan, for climbing in here and sharing so succinctly and relevantly an application to your own life. I love the two different perspectives, as you point them out – “illusion” or “reality”.

Diane August 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

Both of your pictures are quite different at first glance.
I enjoyed putting myself into the first one of the stairs and reflections. I played a game of “running” up and down the stairs and trying to figure out what was real vs reflection. I would not have the energy to play like that in real life.

I was attracted to the leaves and the pink color. At first glance they seem all alike, but after “resting” with (or being with in rest after all that running with the first picture :-D) they (The foliage leaves) became unique and each special in their own right…like faces in a crowd.

I took time with each picture separately and then came back today to follow thru with a comment. I most often (in my life as well as with the picture to ponder installments,) enjoy the immediate offering (the photos and reading the story submitted with them) but rarely follow through with completely thinking about the queries or responding in the comments. It’s like taking what’s good and leaving the rest or not helping with the cleanup after the party…Very selfish and self-centered. I would not have realized this characteristic or propensity of mine had I not come back again to read others’ comments and to add my reflections.

The submission of comments somehow makes this seem more significant and successful somehow. More complete. The circle has been closed now.

You, Sheila, overcame your lethargy with sending out the “Picture to Ponder” ezine, and I responded with comment. I enjoyed reading the others’ comments also.

Sheila Finkelstein August 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Wow, Diane. Thank you for being so bold and forthright and for spending the time you did with the photos and your “pondering.”

Thanks also for the laugh – your “running up and down the steps” then “resting” in the leaves.. I appreciated your then noticing their individuality.

I’m also quite moved with your sharing on your usual way of experiencing Picture to Ponder, making an analogy with being at a party and not cleaning up. You also labeled yourself as “very selfish and self-centered.”

I certainly wouldn’t think that AND I’m wondering, since, in a way, I do the same thing, would that make me “selfish and self-centered?” The “queries” come to me as I write. I rarely know in advance what I am going to say. Then I often think it might serve me personally if I answered the queries myself.

My intent is to simply put my work out there and for people to take whatever it is that fits for them.

Of course, it does make a difference for some when they do actively engaged, as you discovered and it makes a huge and empowering difference for me when people do share their experiences. So thank you from my depths.

Judy B August 14, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Your first picture surprised me. My eyes just kept hopping all around it. There are so many different places to go I was overwhelmed. I found myself focusing on the grate that seemed at first to be resting on the table. I spent my time trying to figure it out. So in my life I get stuck on something I don’t understand and never move.

In the second picture, I wondered what was hiding behind all the bright cheery colors. My eye was drawn to the dark area on the right side. I immediately knew of a whole world going on behind the leaves. With that, I looked up to the top left and there was an eye looking out at me. Am I peeking out from behind my facade or is someone else watching me?

Thanks Sheila. This is the first time I’ve written.